Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Survivor- One step at a time

I don't know how many of you watch, or follow Honey Boo-Boo. This TV show has been in the news recently because of the topic of sexual abuse.

It's stirred things up in me. I wanted to address this personal topic, even though it's scary for me to share.

Having survived and healed from sexual abuse myself, it breaks my heart whenever I hear about anyone else going through it.  For me, it was one of the darkest, most confusing roads I've been on emotionally. I felt like it was my fault. I had no one to turn to. I felt broken, like something was wrong with me.

I think one of the worse parts of this type of abuse is when no one steps in to protect the victim. This seems like it happens in many ways. In my case, my mom told me it didn't happen, it was my fault, and then went out of her way to leave me alone with him from that point on.

In my friend's case, she was told to forgive and forget.

In another friend's case, she kept silent because she feared it would destroy her family.

I kept it silent too, from the rest of the family except for my parents. I thought I was protecting the family. That is a hard secret to keep.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but there is a Christian support group that deals with sexual abuse. There aren't any cliché pat answers given at this site. It's real people dealing with real thoughts and triggers. http://www.christiansurvivors.com/forums/

Even if you've heard it a thousand times, let me tell you again....
It wasn't your fault. You are beautiful, inside and out.
I'm so sorry this happened to you.
I know this is hard.
You are strong. You Will Get through this.
You aren't alone. I don't have all the answers, and words seem puny in the face of this pain, but I care.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((big hug)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

No comments:

Post a Comment